Understanding Digital Citizenship: In addition to the technology skills that student learn, it is also critical to focus on the “other” side of technology use: behavior, responsibility, and safety. These general skills are referred to as Digital Citizenship. This session will be an introduction to most important concepts in Digital Citizenship, as well as the ways that schools, including NIST, are helping students learn these critical skills and understandings.
This session has been developed and will be facilitated by:
- Why kids today are out of shape, disrespectful – and in charge
- How to Cut Children’s Screen Time? Say No to Yourself First.
- Digital Citizenship For Parents (created by Tosca, used with permission)
- NISTtech (created by Tosca, used with permission)
- NIST Technology Philosophy
- EdTech Framework for Schools (created by Tosca, used with permission)
- Common Sense Media (we mention this at every parent training – so many excellent resources for parents!)
- Teens and Tech: The New Landscape (today’s intro video from Common Sense Media)
- Kim’s Diigo bookmarks tagged Digital Citizenship (frequently updated)
- More readings: Parenting in the Digital Age Flipboard magazine from Kim (frequently updated)