Transforming Your Classroom
Teaching internationally can be a real adventure. The excitement, enthusiasm and challenge that comes with our everyday experiences are what makes teaching internationally so rewarding. You’re already a risk taker! One of the most exciting ways to take risks in your classroom is to use technology to redefine the way we teach and learn.
The SAMR model of curriculum development highlights 4 phases of growth (between enhancement and transformation): substitution, augmentation, modification, and redefinition. Together with the workshop participants we will explore new ways to move towards transformation in your classroom. From new pedagogical approaches, to effective technology tools, to transferrable skills, we will use this workshop as another exciting opportunity to take a risk and try something new!
- What does transformative learning look like?
- How can we transform learning for all students?
- How can we use technology tools and skills to redefine the way that students and teachers learn?
- Explore emerging pedagogical approaches, including game based learning, global collaboration, and the flipped classroom.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the SAMR and TPACK models for curriculum development.
- Share and review examples of transformative learning in schools around the world.
- Apply workshop learning to collaboratively create a unit of work that transforms their classroom.
Part 1: Pedagogy
- Activity: Begin to SAMR-ize a Unit!
- Optional Activity: SAMR Self-Assessment
- Activity: Visible Thinking Routine: Connect, Extend, Challenge
SAMR & TPACK Resources
- The Technology Integration Matrix
- Technology Integration Matrix Teacher Indicators
- Technology Integration Matrix Student Indicators
- TIM Setting Indicators
- TIM Summary of Indicators
- 4 Things Transformational Teachers Do
- Upgrading Blogs Through the Lens of SAMR
- Using SAMR to Teach Above the Line
Part 2: Exploring Examples
Activity: SAMR Evaluation / Reflection
- Reid Wilson: Minecraft in the Classroom
- Kara Cole: Minecraft in Gr5
- Angela Spitzman: TourBuilder for Literature Circles
- Ange Maloney Blended Learning in Math
- Deana Greig: Animated GIFs for Learning (in PE)
- David Cole: GIFs for Learning
- Dave Beaty – Social Media Education for the School Community
- Shary – Professional Learning for a whole School Community
More Transformative Project Examples
- Getting to R (organized by the types of projects)
Activity: Visible Thinking Routine: See, Think, Wonder
Part 3: Getting Started
Other PD Opportunities
- Create, Capture, Curate: An Eduro Learning Institute at NIST Feb 13 – 14, 2015
- Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy (COETAIL)
- Eduro Learning courses – one-off 6-week courses
- Learning2 Conference – the best education & technology conference in Asia!