Our students are sharing their own unique passions and creativity in online spaces every day. We see them teaching others on YouTube, capturing unique moments on Instagram, creatively making connections on Snapchat, and collaboratively building (and then sharing) virtual worlds in spaces like Minecraft. So many (if not all) of these rich learning and sharing experiences are happening outside of school time – and completely separate from their world of school. How can we tap into their energy and enthusiasm for their own learning in an academic environment?
Within the SAMR framework of curriculum development (substitution, augmentation, modification, redefinition), we will explore a variety of ways that young learners are sharing their passions in online spaces, uncover opportunities for bringing these kinds of experiences into our classrooms, and develop a deeper understanding of how creativity and innovation can lead to transformative learning.
- What does transformative learning look like?
- How can we bring creativity and innovation into our classrooms to transform learning for all students?
- How can we use technology tools and skills to redefine the way that students and teachers learn?
- Develop a deeper understanding of the SAMR and TPACK models for curriculum development.
- Explore examples of students sharing their passions in online spaces – and the potential of what we can create in our classrooms.
- Learn how to develop creativity and innovation through the use of technology tools through hands on experiences.
- Apply workshop learning to collaboratively create a unit of work that transforms their classroom.
|8:00 – 8:30||Welcome & Introductions|
|8:30 – 10:30||Session 1: Exploring Innovation & Creativity|
|10:30 – 10:45||Break|
|10:45 – 12:00||Session 2: Making the Connection|
|12:00 – 1:00||Lunch|
|1:00 – 2:00||Session 3: SpeedGeeking|
|2:00 – 2:15||Break|
|2:30 – 3:30||Session 4: Understanding SAMR|
|3:30 – 4:00||Wrap up|
|8:30 – 9:00||Overview of the Day|
|9:00 – 10:00||Session 5: Designing Transformative Learning Experiences|
|10:00 – 10:15||Break|
|10:15 – 11:30||Session 6: Collaborative Work Time|
|11:30 – 12:30||Lunch|
|12:30 – 2:30||Session 7: Sharing, Feedback & Next Steps|
|2:30 – 3:00||Wrap up & Closing|